The California Building Standards Commission (CBSC) administers the Building Standards Law and the processes utilized for the development, adoption, approval, publication, and implementation of the California Building Codes. Established in 1953 by the California Building Standards Law, the California Building Standards Commission is within the Department of General Services under the Government Operations Agency.
Health and Safety Code Division 13, Part 2.5, Chapter 2, Article 1 provides for the California Building Standards Commission in Sections 18920 to 18924. Section 18920 specifies that there is continued in existence in the Government Operations Agency a California Building Standards Commission consisting of the Secretary of Government Operations and 10 members appointed by the Governor subject to confirmation by the Senate.
Section 18921 provides that the members of the CBSC are selected from, and represent the public, design professions, the building and construction industry, local government building officials, fire and safety officials, and labor in accordance with the following:
- Four members are appointed from among the professions and industries concerned with building construction as follows:
- An architect.
- A mechanical or electrical engineer or fire protection engineer.
- A structural engineer.
- A licensed contractor.
- Three members are appointed from among the general public at least one of whom is a person with physical disabilities.
- One member is appointed from organized labor in the building trades.
- One member is appointed who is a local building official.
- One member is appointed who is a local fire official.
- At least one member of the commission must be experienced and knowledgeable in barrier free architecture and aware of, and sensitive to, the requirements necessary to ensure public buildings are accessible to, and usable by, persons with physical disabilities.
- At least one member of the commission must be experienced and knowledgeable in building energy efficiency standards.
- At least one member of the commission must be experienced and knowledgeable in sustainable building, design, construction, and operation.
Under Section 18922, the Secretary of Government Operations or the secretary’s representative serves as the chair of the commission and the commission elects a vice chair annually from among its members. The term of office of the commission members is four years and they hold office until the appointment and qualification of their successors, not to exceed 180 days after the term is expired.
Pursuant to Section 18924, the members of the commission serve without compensation. But members of the commission who are not state officers are paid their actual necessary travel expenses.
- Would Legislation Be Strengthened by a Purpose or Intent Statement as Well? - September 25, 2022
- General Outline of a California Bill - September 24, 2022
- What Bill Drafting Guidance Do We Have from the California Constitution? - September 24, 2022