Government Code Title 2 (Government of the State of California), Division 3 (Executive Department), Part 2.5 (Agencies) establishes the agencies in state government which comprise the Governor’s cabinet. Chapter 1, Sections 12800 to 12838.14, establishes the Administration within the executive department of state government.
Section 12800(a) provides that there are in state government the following agencies:
- Business, Consumer Services, and Housing;
- California Environmental Protection;
- California Health and Human Services;
- Labor and Workforce Development;
- Natural Resources;
- Government Operations; and
- Corrections and Rehabilitation.
In addition, Section 12800(b) specifies that each agency secretary is “generally responsible for the sound fiscal management of each department, office, or other unit within the agency. The secretary shall review and approve the proposed budget of each department, office, or other unit. The secretary shall hold the head of each department, office, or other unit responsible for management control over the administrative, fiscal, and program performance of his or her department, office, or other unit.
“The secretary shall review the operations and evaluate the performance at appropriate intervals of each department, office, or other unit, and shall seek continually to improve the organization structure, the operating policies, and the management information systems of each department, office, or other unit.”
Section 12801 provides that each of these agencies is under the supervision of an executive officer who is known as the secretary. All of the agency secretaries are appointed by and hold office at the pleasure of the Governor. The secretaries are all confirmed by the state Senate.
Pursuant to Section 12803, the California Health and Human Services Agency consists of the following:
- California Department of Aging
- Department of Community Services and Development
- State Department of Developmental Services
- State Department of Health Care Services
- Department of Managed Health Care
- State Department of Public Health
- Department of Rehabilitation
- State Department of Social Services
- State Department of State Hospitals, and the
- Department of Youth and Community Restoration.
- Emergency Medical Services Authority
- Office of Health Information Integrity
- Office of Patient Advocate
- Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development
- Office of Systems Integration
- Office of Law Enforcement Support
- Office of the Surgeon General
- State Council on Developmental Disabilities.
- Department of Child Support Services
Pursuant to Section 12803.2, the Government Operations Agency consists of the following:
- Office of Administrative Law.
- Public Employees’ Retirement System.
- State Teachers’ Retirement System.
- State Personnel Board.
- California Victim Compensation Board.
- Department of General Services.
- Department of Technology.
- Franchise Tax Board.
- Department of Human Resources.
- California Department of Tax and Fee Administration.
- Department of FISCal
- Office of Digital Innovation
Pursuant to Section 12804, the Business, Consumer Services, and Housing Agency consists of the following:
- Department of Consumer Affairs
- Department of Real Estate
- Department of Housing and Community Development
- Department of Fair Employment and Housing
- Department of Business Oversight
- Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
- Alcoholic Beverage Control Appeals Board
- California Horse Racing Board
- Alfred E. Alquist Seismic Safety Commission
Pursuant to Section 12805, the Natural Resources Agency consists of the following:
- Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
- Department of Conservation
- Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Department of Parks and Recreation
- Department of Water Resources
- State Lands Commission
- Colorado River Board
- San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission
- Central Valley Flood Protection Board
- Energy Resources Conservation and Development Commission
- Wildlife Conservation Board
- Delta Protection Commission
- Exposition Park
- California Science Center
- California African American Museum
- Native American Heritage Commission
- California Conservation Corps
- California Coastal Commission
- State Coastal Conservancy
- California Tahoe Conservancy
- Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy
- Coachella Valley Mountains Conservancy
- San Joaquin River Conservancy
- San Gabriel and Lower Los Angeles Rivers and Mountains Conservancy
- Baldwin Hills Conservancy
- San Diego River Conservancy
- Sierra Nevada Conservancy
Pursuant to Section 12813, the Labor and Workforce Development Agency consists of the following:
- Office of the Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development
- Agricultural Labor Relations Board
- California Workforce Development Board
- Department of Industrial Relations, including the California Apprenticeship Council, California Occupational Safety and Health Appeals Board, California Occupational Safety and Health Standards Board, Commission on Health and Safety and Workers’ Compensation, Industrial Welfare Commission, Interagency Advisory Committee on Apprenticeship, State Compensation Insurance Fund, and Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board.
- Employment Development Department, including the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board, and the Employment Training Panel
- Public Employment Relations Board
Pursuant to Section 12838, the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation consists of the following:
- Adult Operations
- Adult Programs
- Health Care Services
- Juvenile Justice
- Board of Parole Hearings
- Board of Juvenile Hearings
- State Commission on Juvenile Justice
- Prison Industry Authority
- Prison Industry Board
The Transportation Agency consists of the following:
- Department of Transportation (Government Code Section 14001)
- California Transportation Commission (Government Code Section 14500)
- Department of the California Highway Patrol (Vehicle Code Section 2100)
Pursuant to Section 6253.8, the California Environmental Protection Agency consists of the following:
- State Air Resources Board.
- California Integrated Waste Management Board.
- State Water Resources Control Board, and each California regional water quality control board.
- Department of Pesticide Regulation.
- Department of Toxic Substances Control.
These agencies serve important roles to ensure that the departments, boards and commissions under their jurisdictions fulfill their duties and responsibilities to carry out the policies of the Governor’s administration.
- 2021 Legislative Session Bill Introductions - February 26, 2021
- New Bill Requiring Businesses to Disclose Personal Information Used for Political Purposes - February 24, 2021
- New Proposed Bills Extending Paid Sick Leave - February 22, 2021