Media reports Sunday on social media announced the California Restaurant Association saying California Gov. Gavin Newsom would be lifting the stay-at-home order for all regions across the state Monday.
What the media should have said is now that Joe Biden is President, COVID is cured and states can open up.
Or, with a looming recall election, Gov. Newsom knows he needs to lift all coronavirus stay-at-home orders and allow restaurants and gyms and all small businesses re-open.
Apropos of nothing in particular, it’s a classic authoritarian move to deprive citizens of liberty and then award small doses at random to make them seem like gifts.
— Kevin Kiley (@KevinKileyCA) January 25, 2021
Restaurant owners in Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Diego County, Sacramento County, Monterey County, San Francisco County, Fresno County, and Placer County filed legal claims in December against the state because of its policy of restricting restaurant operations while still requiring the payment of full fees. Filing a government claim is the first step before pursuing a class-action lawsuit, a restaurant owner told the Globe.
There are more than 60,000 restaurants in California, employing upwards of 1.5 million workers.
Restaurant owners have said throughout the 10-month state lockdown that a 50% capacity limit is not feasible for them to stay in business, and especially as they have not received rent relief, or relief from state and local fees and taxes.
In the legal case, restaurant and gym owners say the state and counties had no scientific proof that restaurants & gyms are the cause in the increasing “cases,” And they cite California HHS Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly from December stating that the state has no proof, but instead they closed these businesses “in an effort to keep people at home.”
“Last week, a group of more than 50 wineries and restaurants across Napa and Sonoma counties sued to overturn a state ban on in-person dining, with owners saying their constitutional rights are being trampled as they slip into financial ruin,” the Los Angeles Times reported. “The coalition alleges that the governor and the state public health department have not provided scientific evidence showing that outdoor dining is more dangerous than other permitted activities, such as shopping in indoor malls and working on film sets. Citing uneven application of the restrictions, the group claims the state is violating equal protection laws afforded by the California Constitution, among other violations.”
The Globe filed numerous public records requests with the state public health agencies seeking the data and science used to back the 10-month lockdown, but is still waiting.
“Gavin Newsom should not be praised today for his act of ending his unconstitutional stay-at-home orders. Over the last year Gavin has trampled all over the Constitution and deprived healthy Californians from the right of self-determination while destroying the state’s economy,” Attorney Mark Meuser said. “Gavin has taken hundreds of constitutional rights away from the people and just because he gives a couple back, means he should be recalled immediately for not returning to the people the right of self-government.”
Meuser and Attorney Harmeet Dhillon have filed 17 different lawsuits against Gov. Newsom since since he ordered the state locked down for COVID-19 in March. Their most recent lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court against Gov. Gavin Newsom, is representing Los Angeles restaurant owner Angela Marsden who made the recent tearful, now-viral video as she was forced to close down her restaurant, Pineapple Hill Saloon and Grille. She was forced to close down even her outdoor dining, while a Hollywood film production was allowed to provide the same outdoor dining across the shared parking lot.
The message: Hollywood “essential” and necessary, Pineapple Hill Saloon and Grille, not.
- LAUSD Adopts Microsoft ‘Daily Pass’ Program Bar Coding Kids For School Reopening - March 2, 2021
- California Lawmaker Calling on Twitter and Facebook to Ban Vaccine Activist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. - March 1, 2021
- Recall Campaign Announced Against Soros-Backed LA County District Attorney George Gascón - March 1, 2021