“To care for him who shall have born the battle, and for his widow and his orphan,” Abraham Lincoln famously stated. No truer words have been spoken when it comes to ensuring to our active duty and their families, our country will continue to support the brave men and women, who’ve put it all on the line, for our amazing country and our people, even after they’ve separated from the military.
We must always take care of our Veterans and their spouses and children so that young men and women will continue to choose to take the oath to defend our freedoms, at home and abroad, like so many before them.
In July of 2020, leadership from Veteran Strong USA started engaging with Orange County Board of Supervisor, Chairwoman Michelle Steel’s office on Veteran programs. She immediately engaged us in the Orange County, California, Veteran hiring program upgrade, which mandates that a Veteran, a Veteran spouse, disabled Veteran, disabled Veteran spouse and deceased Veteran spouse, will now make it to the interview round of the position they applied for, providing they meet the minimum qualifications.
Regardless of whether it’s one applicant, or 100, the categories mentioned above, will receive an interview.
This was unanimously passed on September 15th.
The second Veteran program that Veteran Strong USA brought to Chairwoman Steel’s office was Orange County adopting the State of California’s Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (DVBE) program. The State of California’s DVBE program offers a 3% set-aside for Veteran entrepreneurs, who are state certified DVBE’s for majority of contracts issued through the Department of General Services and the agencies under their purview.
The State of California’s DVBE program started in 1989.
Not only was Chairwoman Steel’s office interested in adopting the program, they wanted to make it better by raising the DVBE utilization minimum from 3% to 5%. Additionally, if you’re a certified local small business in Orange County, you can add an additional 3% for a total of 8% utilization/bid preference.
We’re pleased to announce, through the leadership of Orange County Supervisor Chairwoman Michelle Steel’s office, co-sponsor Vice Chairman Andrew Do, Supervisors Lisa Bartlett, Don Wagner and Doug Chaffee, the State of California’s DVBE program was unanimously adopted and passed October 15th, 2020.
The Veteran community thanks Chairwoman Steel and her leadership, along with her very talented staff and all the Supervisors for supporting the Veteran community.
We must continue to upgrade, update and create new ways of honoring our Veterans and their families. Orange County feels the same way.
If you’re a Veteran, Veteran spouse, or Veteran caregiver, Veteran Strong USA explains all about our legislative work and accomplishments, and also can securely sign you up for our newsletter “Improving The Lives of Veterans, Through Legislation.”
- Orange County: The Most Veteran Friendly County In California - November 20, 2020