On June 5 the California Senate will be holding a LGBTQ recognition ceremony. One of the honorees is Sister Roma from the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence group.
Yes, that Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence group, recently embroiled in controversy with the Los Angeles Dodgers. “The Dodgers invited The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence to receive an award in an on-field ceremony at Pride Night and that did not sit well with many—especially the more conservative members of the Catholic Church,” the Globe reported. The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence is a drag queen group who dress as Catholic nuns, and in their own words, “…use humor and irreverent wit to expose the forces of bigotry, complacency and guilt that chain the human spirit.”
The LA Dodgers invited the Sisters, disinvited them after public outcry, then reinvited them, resulting in the pro-baseball team earning the title, “Bud Light of Baseball.”
According to the American Council Quorum, a public policy group for the faith community, “The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence self-identity as an Order of queer and trans nuns, but they are really a Catholic hate group who mocks Christian figures, beliefs, and doctrines in sexualized dances, photo-ops, and events. In a recent video that surfaced online, this group of trans-men featured a kinky drag-queen Jesus in a thong along with drag nuns, defiling a sincere Christian image.”
Indeed. In April to “celebrate” Easter, “The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, the worldwide troupe of nondenominational drag nuns founded in San Francisco in 1979, has announced that their Hunky Jesus and Foxy Mary contests will once again return to Dolores Park, along with the annual Easter Bonnet contest that’s open to everyone,” the SF Standard reported. “Many people believe Jesus died for their sins, but in San Francisco, a bunch of Jesuses dye their beards for our amusement.”
And here are the winners! Behold!
Foxy Mary: Free Choice Mary
Hunky Jesus: Haus of Jesus
(photos by the amazing Gooch) pic.twitter.com/690qd0HcAT
— The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence (@SFSisters) April 12, 2023
This is the group the California Senate will be honoring in a LGBTQ recognition ceremony (Senate request at the end of this article).
For context in the Dodgers debacle, CatholicVote posted this Twitter response:
The @Dodgers’ announcement today is the equivalent of putting a Band-Aid on a gaping wound and in no way diminishes the harm and hurt caused by their plan to honor a vile anti-Catholic organization. Creating a “faith and family” event does not balance the decision to honor a perverted, fake “nun” group that exists to mock the Catholic religion. In many ways, it emphasizes the contrast, and makes our case even stronger. It’s hard to interpret this announcement as anything other than a public relations stunt intended to blunt the widespread national backlash that is only growing stronger. The Dodgers have one path forward: apologize and stop honoring hateful anti-Catholic organizations.
Statement from CatholicVote President Brian Burch: The @Dodgers’ announcement today is the equivalent of putting a Band-Aid on a gaping wound and in no way diminishes the harm and hurt caused by their plan to honor a vile anti-Catholic organization. Creating a "faith and family"… https://t.co/Yq6dLMcvqW
— CatholicVote (@CatholicVote) May 26, 2023
Politics in California today is anything but, as most of the state’s Democrat politicians have been driven to distraction by social and emotional causes, rather than governing and policymaking for the good of the people of their districts, and the good of the people of the state.
One example is this Tweet by Assemblyman Phil Ting (D-San Francisco):
Outrageous the @Dodgers caved in to hate & disinvited @SFSisters from #LGBTQ+ Pride Night. In CA, we value inclusivity. I encourage the @SFGiants to honor this fantastic organization by having 1 of the sisters throw out the 1st pitch on their Pride Night. https://t.co/5tOxoqUuxM
— Phil Ting (@PhilTing) May 18, 2023
Assemblyman Ting from San Francisco might want to focus on his city in decline instead.
Leadership comes from the top, and at the top in California is Gov. Gavin Newsom, the chief of distraction. Newsom has been making headlines daily for months, focused on everything but the screaming disaster that is California.
Here is a sampling of the hot mess Newsom and the state’s Democrats have made in California, which was once the land of opportunity:
- California is home to one-third of the nations’ welfare recipients and has the highest poverty;
- Our failing schools now rank 48th in the country;
- California lawmakers can’t build new homes or apartments for less than $800,000 each (luxury level costs);
- The governor and lawmakers can’t figure out what to do with several hundred thousand drug-addicted, mentally ill homeless vagrants living on city streets and taking over public parks;
- California lawmakers refuse to build additional reservoirs for water storage in a state in which drought conditions are historically normal, and now has a regular wildfire “season;”
- California lawmakers and governor mandated all electric vehicles within a few years, but can’t keep the power on during heat spells and winter storms;
- Lawmakers authorized more than $25 million worth of taxpayer-funded guaranteed income to some individuals in the state, but can’t really tell you why;
- Proposed $800 billion in reparations payments to African-Americans, despite that California was never a slave state;
- California has a $34 billion deficit—and it’s growing;
- The state’s $100+ billion high-speed rail project is mostly dormant;
- California has the highest income tax rates in the nation;
- California also has the highest sales taxes, electricity rates, gas taxes in the country.
Victor Davis Hanson recently and poignantly summarized the decline of California:
“Crime, homelessness, and medieval decay characterize the once great downtowns of San Francisco and Los Angeles. It is now not safe to walk alone in any major California city after dark.”
“Shoplifting and smash-and-grab theft are no longer treated as real crimes. The result is the mass flight of brand stores from our downtowns and inner cities, with all the accustomed cries of “racism,” even as racist public prosecutors pick and choose whether to indict the arrested on the basis of race.
“California infrastructure, once the best in the county, is now among the worst. Decaying and crowded freeways, inadequate water storage, and pot-holed streets are the new norm. Once robust gas, oil, mining, and timber industries are nearly inert.”
Sacramento, we have a problem.
The Left pushes tolerance for all these outliers and perverts while displaying zero tolerance for the 12 million California Catholics and Christians. Concurrently is the frivolous, unserious Democrats of the California Senate who show how easily distracted they are by shiny objects while the important business of California is treated with contempt, resulting in a permanent poverty class, and those who can, fleeing to safe, sane, free states.
- Whamm, Zwap, Bam! Lawsuits Already Filed Over California’s Newest Gun Control Laws - September 27, 2023
- Will SF Bay Area Voters Make the Politicians They Elected Pay for Crime Explosion? - September 27, 2023
- The Scheme to Label Gov. Newsom as ‘Moderate’ Exposed in New Report - September 26, 2023