Following California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s arbitrary and unnecessary closure of California’s schools Friday, Attorney Harmeet Dhillon announced on Fox News she would be filing another lawsuit against him.
Dhillon’s Center for American Liberty will file a lawsuit to block the implementation of Governor Newsom’s shutdown of California schools.
“Today, Governor Newsom announced that in more than 30 counties, representing 80% of the state’s population, school buildings will remain closed,” the Center said. “This prohibition of in-person educational instruction appears to restrict both private and public schools—leaving the overwhelming majority of students without genuine access to an education.”
“California’s constitution guarantees children the right to a basic education. However, for many students, this is not possible online.”
Newsom announced that public school students in most of California will not be attending school in person this fall, subjecting students to online learning only – if they have parents available to monitor the process.
Schools can reopen for in-person learning only once the county it is operating in has been off the state’s monitoring list for 14 consecutive days, which means most schools will not be able to re-open. Currently, 32 counties are on the interactive coronavirus monitoring list.
“The virus will be with us for a year or more, and school districts must provide meaningful instruction in the midst of this pandemic,” Newsom said Friday. “In California, health data will determine when a school can be physically open -– and when it must close –- but learning should never stop. Students, staff, and parents all prefer in-classroom instruction, but only if it can be done safely.”
“Yet again he has gone too far, and this time this issue affects not just the kids, but their parents, and their parents who have jobs, and all the workplaces that are impacted,” Dhillon said on Fox. “This is actually a catastrophe for California, and we are intending to challenge it legally.”
“The California Constitution has a constitutional guarantee for a basic education for all children,” Dhillon said, citing a number of conversations with teachers who say the experience with online learning has been a “disaster,” especially when it comes to students who need extra help, or those who have been unable to participate in virtual learning due to lack of access.
Last week, the Orange County Board of Education voted 4 to 1 to approve new school reopening suggestions, including not making it a requirement for students to wear masks or practice social distancing, California Globe reported.
Almost immediately, the United Teachers of Los Angeles labor union pushed back: “Pushing to restart schools without basic coronavirus precautions is incredibly dangerous and irresponsible,” UTLA posted on Facebook. “Health and safety requirements are in place to protect the lives of our children, educators and parents.”
California Globe received numerous messages from parents whose kids go to private schools. Parents said they were concerned because their schools had initially announced they were going to re-open without restrictions, but have recanted, and are now preparing quasi-in-school, online curriculum.
Even Sen. Melissa Melendez (R-Lake Elsinore), a mother of five, weighed in on the school order: “Today I learned my kids will have zero options for classroom-based education when school resumes in the fall. This will not only have a disastrous effect on kids, but also on the ability of their parents to keep their jobs.”
“Are you an LA public school parent concerned enough about the school closures to do something about it?” Dhillon posted on Facebook. “If so please message me privately or email me at my firm. We would like to hear your story, all backgrounds and situations.”
“Guess what, the taxpayers are not getting a rebate back,” Dhillon said, as some 80% of K-12 education funding in CA comes from the state and property taxes. “So when you have government monies being levied for particular government purposes, like education, but the government’s not spending it on that, they’re not spending it effectively, that’s a taxpayer standing issue regarding the right of the taxpayer to have what they pay the money for actually used for that purpose.”
While Newsom claims to be following the “health data” and the “science,” he ignores that there are zero deaths in California of young people under age 18.
Currently, California shows 6,044,039 COVID-19 tests have been administered, 366,164 positive tests, 7,475 deaths from COVID, leaving 5,677,935 negative tests. Gov. Newsom never discusses the negative tests, or the dropping death rate from COVID-19.
- California’s Unemployment Averages 27 percent of All U.S. Claims - September 22, 2020
- LA District Attorney Lacey in Bitter Battle With Soros-Funded George Gascón - September 21, 2020
- Sonoma County Health Officer Claims Day Cares and Schools ‘Infected’ - September 20, 2020