California, once known as the Golden State, is now quite tarnished, losing millions of residents and businesses, fleeing for a better way of life. No more is “California Callin” as the Beach Boys sang, or “California Dreamin” as the Mamas and Papas made famous.
“California Sucks” by Screeching Weasel is more accurate:
It’s worse than old New York
Filled with scum and wealthy worms
And stupid surfing dorks
Hot tubs and Jacuzzi’s
And swaying green palm trees
Rock stars, assholes, sleazy broads
And smog that makes you sneeze
All the people there are fake
They can buy their plastic lives
With all the cash they make
California movie stars
Strung out on sleeping pills
No, I’ve never been there
You can bet I never will
Just look who you’ve produced
Ronald Reagan, Jerry Brown
And countless other fools
West Coast sun-tanned morons
You don’t know how to think
Can’t wait ’til your state erodes
And falls into the drink
Sadly, Screeching Weasel got it right.
However, as right as Screeching Weasel was when they wrote “California Sucks” in 1987, they could not have anticipated how bad California would get:
- highest-in-the-nation taxes;
- affordable housing crisis;
- a faux political water shortage;
- a faux political energy crisis with rolling blackouts;
- environmentalists determining statewide policies;
- hundreds of thousands of zombie-like homeless drug addicts living on city streets, parks, along rivers, and under freeways;
- the mass exodus of Big Tech from the Bay Area and Silicon Valley (Oracle, Tesla, Hewlett Packard, Pinterest, Digital Realty);
- the destroyed freelance and gig economy because of Assembly Bill 5;
- the 10-month lockdown resulting in hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of small business closures and bankruptcies; still-closed public schools, colleges and universities;
- the failing public school system – Kindergarten through university;
- unfunded public employee pension and long-term healthcare debt of more than $1 trillion;
- 200,000+ illegal aliens (California currently covers about 200,000 unauthorized immigrant children and young adults, according to the state Department of Health Care Services);
- state unemployment agency failed to send legitimate unemployment checks to the millions of unemployed residents, sending more than $10 billion in fraudulent claims to felons in prison and jail, and out of state;
- a DMV which can’t issue drivers licenses or car registrations, but registers illegal aliens to vote;
- So-called criminal justice “reforms” which have served to increase crime;
- Unconstitutional anti-gun laws;
- public employee labor unions dominate and drive politics;
- fawning, corrupted California media.
And all of this, every step of the way, has been implemented by Democrat politicians.
With the Biden/Harris administration looking to California “as the de facto policy think tank,” as the Los Angeles Times reported, the rest of the country is likely cringing.
The enviable California way of life is gone. California cities are dangerous and violent. The chasm between the “haves” and “have-nots” has grown exponentially with the exodus of middle class taxpayers, business owners and retirees fleeing for freer states.
California’s influence—dominance, even—in Washington politics is no accident. But it’s even worse because of the undue influence of San Francisco’s unhinged politics and politicians: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Vice President Kamala Harris, Senator Dianne Feinstein, Rep. Eric Swalwell, Rep. Barbara Lee, Rep. Mark DeSaulnier, Rep. Jackie Speier, Rep. Ro Khanna, Rep. Zoe Lofgren, Rep. Anna Eshoo, Rep. Jared Huffman, and Rep. Mike Thompson — all Democrats in Congress from California, from the San Francisco Bay Area.
It won’t be long before the rest of Congress and the rest of the country is fed up with California “as the de facto policy think tank,” and pray that Screeching Weasels’ were prophetic: “Can’t wait ’til your state erodes, And falls into the drink.”
(Katy Grimes is a native Californian. And Screeching Weasel guitarist Jughead is an occasional contributor to our sister publication Rock and Roll Globe.)
- California Colleges and Public Schools Ordering More Vaccine Mandates Than Most Other States - September 24, 2021
- California Now a ‘Reproductive Freedom State’ as Gov. Newsom Signs Legislation - September 23, 2021
- U.S. Senate Candidate Stumbles on Hornets Nest over Facebook Post - September 22, 2021