Gun control advocates want to ban guns. They claim they only want to ban “assault rifles,” “high-capacity magazines” and “bump stocks,” and then redefine what these actually are. “Weapons of war,” is the latest iteration, making certain guns sound more dangerous. But this road inevitably leads to a ban on all firearms.
Addressing Democrats’ cries for federal gun control following the Uvalde, Texas school shooting, President Joe Biden on Thursday issued a fervent call for gun control, telling voters to make it a paramount issue in November. “I believe the majority of you will act to turn your outrage to turn this issue central to your vote,” he said. “Enough! Enough! Enough!”
Biden claimed, “nothing has been done. This time that cannot be true. This time we must actually do something.”
“My God. The fact that the majority of the Senate Republicans don’t want any of these proposals even to be debated or come up for a vote, I find unconscionable,” Biden said. “We can’t fail the American people again.”
Biden said if we can’t ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, he wants to raise the age to purchase them from 18 to 21, claiming, “These are rational, commonsense measures.”
The President said new data just released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention claims “guns are the number one killer of children in the United States of America. The number one killer. More than car accidents. More than cancer.”
Once again, gun control proponents claim guns kill, refusing to acknowledge that whoever is using the gun is the actual killer. Guns don’t kill any more than SUVs run people over. And they conflate suicide deaths with violent gun deaths to inflate the number.
California’s Democrat lawmakers are on the same page as Biden, and have introduced their own package of gun control bills, never letting a crisis go to waste:
- SB 1327 (Hertzberg) would allow private citizens to sue gun manufacturers, distributors and traders for dealing assault weapons, .50 BMG rifles or ghost guns. The bill is sponsored by Governor Newsom.
- SB 906 (Portantino) would mandate school officials to report perceived threats of a mass shooting to law enforcement and require school districts to disseminate safe gun control storage information.
- SB 915 (Min) bans gun shows and firearm sales on state property.
- SB 1384 (Min) demands that gun dealers install video surveillance systems at their business sites.
- AB 2571 (Gabriel) outlaws advertising of firearms in manners that attract minors.
- AB 1594 (Ting) would allow the State Attorney General and individuals to sue gun manufacturers and sellers for harms.
- AB 1621 (Gipson) would further crack down on sales of ghost guns. Governor Newsom has signaled his full support for this extensive package of gun control legislation.
Governor Newsom’s proposed Real Public Safety Plan would create a new statewide gun buyback program to provide matching grants and safe-disposal opportunities to get guns off our streets. The plan also includes additional funding for California’s gun violence research center at the University of California, Davis.
Yet throughout California, state and local lawmakers have worked to defund police, and shifted funding away from police budgets. At the same time, Gov. Newsom has let more than 76,000 felons out of state prisons. “California Gov. Gavin Newsom will be letting another 76,000 prisoners out of state prisons – on his own authority through Executive Order – violent crime is spiking in California’s cities,” the Globe reported May 2021. The CDCR expanded “good time credits” without criteria to justify early release of dangerous inmates.
Here’s the reality about guns and Americans: Author of More Guns, Less Crime, John Lott’s recent report found during the Coronavirus pandemic, the number of concealed handgun permits soared to over 21.52 million – a 48% increase since 2016. It’s also a 10.5% increase over the number of permits we counted a year ago in 2020. Women applicants grew 108% faster than men, and new black applicants outstripped white applicants by 137%, and Asians out-applied Caucasians by 93%, the Truth About Guns reported.
Lott notes “this increase occurred despite 21 Constitutional Carry states that no longer provide data on all those legally carrying a concealed handgun because people in those states no longer need a permit to carry.”
Lott also wrote The Bias Against Guns. In his books, Lott argues that the more guns Americans have, the less likely there will be crime. Based on his statistics above, Americans also believe this.
Gun control advocates rarely if ever acknowledge the many crimes prevented or stopped by gun owners licensed to carry. There are many reports of concealed carry permit holders stopping crimes, including mass murderers. A West Virginia woman who is a concealed carry license holder stopped a shooting at a graduation party last week. “The Chief of Detectives credited that regular citizen who had a lawfully-carried firearm with saving lives because she didn’t run, but instead chose to engage and take out the threat.”
After claiming on Monday a 9mm bullet “blows the lung out of the body” while calling for a ban on 9mm handguns, Biden changed his tune Thursday saying, “For so many of you at home, I want to be very clear: This is not about taking away anyone’s guns. It’s about vili- — not about vilifying gum [sic] — gun owners. In fact, we believe we should be treating responsible gun owners as an example of how every gun owner should behave. I respect the culture and the tradition and the concerns of lawful gun owners.”
- Federal Student Loan Payments Resume for Millions after 3-year COVID Break - October 2, 2023
- Gov. Newsom’s Fib About California’s Highest-in-the-Nation Gas Prices - September 29, 2023
- LAUSD Board Finally Rescinds Covid-19 Vaccine Mandate for Employees - September 28, 2023