Last week the Globe reported on the Sacramento Inderkum High School teacher who proudly admitted to politically indoctrinating his students in Marxism/Communism, on a recent undercover Project Veritas video.
“Gabriel Gipe said that his intention is to radicalize students into supporting Marxist ideas by using the public school system as an avenue to incentivize them to participate in fringe extracurricular events,” Project Veritas reported. “I have 180 days to turn them [students] into revolutionaries…Scare the f*ck out of them,” Gipe said.
Gipe was terminated by the school district ahead of the intense Natomas Unified School Board meeting last Wednesday where parents showed up in droves demanding justice for their children, demanding the teacher be fired, and even demanding criminal prosecution.
“Video of furious parents at the Natomas school board meeting is available, before the board took a recess during the meeting, came back, took another recess, and then disappeared out the back door before the meeting ended, according to several parents,” the Globe reported.
Despite the school board meeting getting really heated, the Board members allowed angry and frustrated parents to speak for one and a half hours before recessing one final time, ending the meeting.
The Globe has learned that there was more to the decision by the board to recess the meeting and leave the building.
NUSD Board Member Micah Grant and NUSD Superintendent Chris Evans clarified the details and the timeline with the Globe.
While parents were justifiably upset, afraid for their children, and angry that the teacher had been teaching Marxism and Communism at the high school for three years in his AP History class, both Grant and Evans said not all of the people at the meeting were parents or from the community.
They had been informed earlier in the day by law enforcement that some “political groups” would be at the meeting. The Globe heard Antifa would be there. Superintendent Evans said he’d also heard this but it appeared they did not attend the meeting after all.
With this information, Superintendent Evans offered the school board the opportunity to hold the meeting virtually as state law allows, but the board opted for the in-person meeting.
Friday before the Wednesday September 1 board meeting, board members and Superintendent Evans were made aware of the video and provided quotes by Gabriel Gipe. By the time he actually saw the video, Grant said it had been released on Twitter.
Both Grant and Evans said the video appeared correct on substance. “What the teacher said in the video was awful,” Superintendent Evans said. He noted that videos can be spliced, and said he asked Project Veritas for the entire video, rather than clips. “Beyond that, we do our own investigation,” he said. “Too often we hide behind ‘it’s a personnel issue.’ Our imaginations run wild. We’re human. So we dug in to emails, and talked with former and current students.”
Superintendent Evans also noted that the Inderkum Principal is new to the school this year, so there wasn’t much she knew about the teacher or the past years in his classes, since school had only been in session 13 days.
Board Member Grant said while he would have liked to get out ahead of the controversial video with information to parents before the board meeting, the board policy states that only the Board President can speak publicly on behalf of the board. Grant issued a personal statement ahead of the meeting but was criticized “that it did not go far enough.”
My statement on the Project Veritas video that was released this morning. pic.twitter.com/o8DERO1JlI
— Micah Alexi Grant (@alexigrant) August 31, 2021
“Part of what I tried to explain in the letter is some of the things he [Gipe] placed in his classroom were new. Others were not,” Superintendent Evans said, referring to photos of China’s Chairman Mao Zedong posters in Gipe’s classroom, as well as an Antifa flag. “We have discovered that some of the materials that were on the wall were added, at the earliest, May of 2021. Whether those posters were added prior to the school year or placed on the wall for the first 13 days of this school year – we are not yet sure. However, they are gone and removed,” Superintendent Evans says in his letter to the community.
Superintendent Evans told the Globe, “Not only is it against school policy and board policy, but he broke the sacred trust between school and parents. We fired him well before the meeting.” (His letter is below).
But that didn’t seem to be enough to those who attended the school board meeting. “And the board chose to stay and listen to a lot of vulgar and profane language,” Superintendent Evans said.
After a while, Evans said the board needed a break. Emotions were running high, and unbeknownst to the audience of parents and others, board members were receiving hateful and threatening text messages on their cell phones during the meeting. Law enforcement and legal counsel at the meeting were concerned about the threats.
The Globe was provided one voicemail message that went on for over 1:30 minutes, in which the caller threatens board members and their family members with violence.
That was just one message. Law enforcement at the meeting grew increasingly concerned both Grant and Evans said. Law enforcement and the legal counsel eventually told board members to recess and leave, and escorted board members out of the building.
It may have appeared to parents attending the board meeting that the board slipped out the back door to avoid the wrath of parents, but Superintendent Evans and Board Member Grant said the threats were growing in frequency and violence via text messages and email. Law enforcement told board members there were also threats on social media.
In the coming weeks and months, as we learn more about this school situation, and how teacher Gabriel Gipe survived numerous complaints by parents, the Globe will update the story.
- Study: Biden Death Tax Increases Could Cost 100s of Thousands of California Jobs, Billions in Economic Output - September 15, 2021
- California Democrats Call For Recall ‘Reform’ Process - September 15, 2021
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom Defeats Recall - September 15, 2021