It appears the June Primary Election recall of progressive San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin has had some carryover impact on the recall of Los Angeles DA George Gascón. The working group collecting signatures for Gascón’s recall just announced they have enough to place the matter on the November ballot.
With a growing number of LA County criminals making plea deals concerned that criminal-friendly Gascón will be recalled, and 98% of the Los Angeles Association of Deputy District Attorneys voting overwhelmingly to support the recall of George Gascón, it appears there is enough steam to make this recall happen.
The ADDA’s vote came after Gascón refused an invitation to address the prosecutors of his office to explain and defend his policies and provide his arguments why he should not be recalled.
“This vote is by those who are intimately familiar with how Mr. Gascón’s policies actually play out on a day-to-day basis,” ADDA President Michele Hanisee said in February. “We believe the vote of our members will resonate with the voters of Los Angeles as they decide whether to recall Gascón from office and restore public safety as the priority of the District Attorney’s office.”
Fox News reported:
“The Recall George Gascon campaign told Fox News it received over 30,000 petitions over the past few days in an effort to gather the 567,857 needed by July 6. The group said it hit the target Wednesday but is working toward collecting 650,000 signatures as some will likely be deemed invalid by the Los Angeles County officials.”
Perhaps driving home the recall of Gascón is the Tuesday shooting of two Los Angeles police officers by a gang member felon out on parole, thanks to DA Gascón’s directives and refusal to use enhancements, and criminal-friendly policies. Justin Flores, 35, gunned down El Monte police officers Michael Paredes and Joseph Santana Tuesday when they responded to a call at a nearby hotel.
The New York Post reported:
“Flores — who had ‘Quiet’ tattooed on his face, marking his allegiance to the Quiet Village gang — had stabbed his ex-wife, Diana Flores, just days earlier, she told NBCLA, a clear violation of his probation.
He was trying to confront her at the motel where she was hiding from him Tuesday when he opened fire on the two officers, she told the outlet.”
Fox News correspondent Bill Melugin reported on Twitter:
“LA DA George Gascon recently spoke about the need for sensible gun laws. CA has some of the toughest gun laws, if they are enforced. His office gave a felon/gang member w/ a prior strike a plea deal for probation on his gun charge instead of prison. He killed 2 cops on Tuesday.”
Justin William Flores was a known gang member allowed out on probation by Gascon for a felony firearm charge, when he should have been sentenced to prison for several years. Cop-killer Flores had been prohibited from carrying a gun since 2011, but was free despite pleading no contest in February 2021 to possessing a firearm as a felon, the Los Angeles Times revealed Wednesday.
Mellugin added: “LA DA @GeorgeGascon office issues a statement regarding this case. Their position is that placing a convicted felon gang member with a strike on his record on probation for possession of a gun by a felon was a ‘consistent’ resolution at the time.”
The signature gatherers are aiming for collecting 650,000 signatures – well above the required 567,857.
The Recall District Attorney George Gascon committee “is a non-partisan, victim-initiated effort. Committee Co-Chairs are Desiree Andrade, Tania Owen, former Los Angeles District Attorney Steve Cooley, former Deputy District Attorney Sam Dordulian, former Deputy District Attorney Kathy Cady, and former Los Angeles City Councilman Dennis Zine.”